The average processing time for short-stay individual applications of Chinese nationals traveling to Cyprus is 3-5 working days from time of submission to the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus, excluding weekends and public holidays, provided that your visa application is correct and complete.
In the following cases, the processing time can be longer:
- If the Embassy needs to investigate an application further or decides to conduct a personal interview with the applicant.
Can I travel to Cyprus with a Schengen visa?
Holders of a valid double or multiple entry Schengen visa or Bulgarian, Croatian and Romanian, as well as residence permits issued by Schengen Member States or by Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania, are not required to hold a short-stay visa to enter the Republic of Cyprus for a time period that does not exceed 90 days in any 180 day period. This provision doesn’t apply to Citizens of Turkey and Azerbaijan who have to follow the regular visa issuance procedure.
The Republic of Cyprus has adopted the provisions of Decision No. 565/2014/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 introducing a simplified regime for the control of persons at the external borders based on the unilateral recognition by Cyprus as well as by Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania of certain documents as equivalent to their national visas for transit through or intended stays on their territories not exceeding 90 days in any 180-day period.
What are the legal pointsof entry into the Republic of Cyprus?
Travelers entering the Republic of Cyprus via the illegal / closed airports and ports (i.e. all the airports and ports in the occupied areas), are in breach of national law of the Republic of Cyprus. Therefore, you are urged to travel via the legal pointsof entry, so as to avoid the consequences of the law (provided that a visa has been granted to you).
THE LEGAL POINTS OF ENTRY INTO THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS ARE THE AIRPORTS OF LARNACA AND PAPHOS AND THE PORTS OF LARNACA, LIMASSOL, LATSI AND PAPHOS, WHICH ARE SITUATED IN THE AREA UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS. Any entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus via any other port or airport in the area of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise effective control (Turkish occupied area) is illegal.
Additional information regarding entry permit
Applicants who intend to travel to Cyprus on the invitation of a Cypriot company with the view to install, repair or undertake maintenance of any machinery, or applicants intending to undertake training in Cyprus, must have an ENTRY PERMIT in order to be allowed to travel.
The Entry Permit is issued by the Civil Registry and Migration Department of the Ministry of Interior, after application by the Cyprus company who invites the foreign national.
In order for the permit to be issued, the Cypriot company must first apply to the Employment Department of the Ministry of Employment and Social Security for authorization. In order to get the authorization, the Cypriot company must present certain documents that prove the necessity of the travel and the authenticity of the project, for example proof of registration of company, acquisition of machines (if applicable), contract with the foreign company who will dispatch the expert (if applicable), a letter from the foreign company confirming that the particular individuals work for them, and anything else that might be requested by the said Department.
Once the authorization is given by the Employment Department, the Cypriot company must apply to the Civil Registry and Migration Department for the issuance of the Entry Permit.
The original entry permit will allow the individual to travel to Cyprus without a visa. If the concerned individual does not have the original entry permit (i.e. only has a copy), then he/she must also get a visa from a Consular authority of the Republic of Cyprus (please note the Consular authorities will only be able to issue the visa providing that the entry permit is faxed to them directly by the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Cyprus).
What will happen on the day of my appointment?
Please ensure that you plan your travel to arrive at the center slighter before your appointment time. Do not arrive too early as you may be asked to wait so that applicants arriving on time may be welcomed according to their appointment time.
At the welcome area, please have:
- your appointment checklist;
- passport ;
- and application form ready for inspection.
1. At the Welcome area, TLScontact agent will thoroughly check your documents for compliance with your application checklist.
Please be informed that corrections on any type of application form are not accepted. All information on the application form must be correct the day of the appointment. If not, you will be invited to fill a new form.
2. Waiting area: Your application ID (individual reference number without “M”) will be automatically called and shown on the screen when there is a counter available for you to submit the application.
3. At the Documentation area, you will then be issued with a submission confirmation document, which you must retain to retrieve your passport when it has been processed.
4. After confirming the documentation, you will be invited to make payment of visa and service fees.
Can someone else apply for a visa on my behalf?
You may ask a representative to apply for your visa application on your behalf in the Visa Application Centre. The representative must be an adult (more than 18 years old).
Please check the question to view the requirements to apply through a representative.
What you need to consider when applying through a representative?
The representative must present an authorization form (please click here to download the template) duly filled and hand signed by the applicant. This authorization form has to be provided as an original. Copies or faxes are not accepted. No subsequent alterations are allowed to be made on the filled out form. The applicant’s signature on the form should resemble the applicant’s signature in the passport. The letter cannot be shared for several visa applicants.
- The applicant’s passport must be signed by the applicant himself. In this regard, please also pay attention to the special regulations concerning applicants who are underage.
- Representatives are only allowed to sign in place of the applicant during their appointment in the Visa Application Centre on the following documents:
- Consent forms
- Application checklist
- Applicant’s picture must fully comply with the strict regulations. When the application is submitted through a representative, it is not possible to make new photos in the visa application centre and hand them in during the appointment.
- It is not possible to complete documents after the application has been submitted. The representative is strongly advised to clarify with the applicant beforehand if the applicant wants to submit the application or withdraw, should the documents be incomplete. IN THE EVENT the representative is submitting an incomplete or incompliant set of documents, applicant themselves need to sign the following declaration form. Representatives cannot contact the applicant during the appointment in the visa application centre as the use of mobile phones is not permitted in the visa application centre.
The representative bears the sole responsibility for the decision about the application’s submission.
Can I submit my visa application by post?
Applicants residing in China or able to provide a return address in China can submit their application by post. You may submit your application by post by following this strict procedure.
Please note that a postal fee applies to cover the cost of sending the passport back to you by Express Delivery Service.
What do I need to consider when applying by post?
You may only send your visa application by post after registering and paying the corresponding fees online. Only applicants residing in China or able to provide a return address in China can apply by post.
Fees must be paid online and must NOT be posted in cash. TLScontact denies any responsibility for any cash sent by post.
Once your application is received at the Visa Application Centre, your application will be checked for completeness and compliance, and will be transferred as such to the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus in Beijing.
You are responsible for sending complete documentation as:
- applications with missing documents will be returned to the sender;
- any additional document received separately, unless specifically requested by the consular authority, will not be transferred to the Embassy and will be destroyed.
If the application is returned to the applicant, only the visa fees will be refunded.
What happens if during my appointment at the Visa Application Centre for the submission of my application, it is discovered that my application is incomplete or incorrect?
If during your appointment it is discovered that your application files do not correspond to the requirements of the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus, or some of the required documents are missing, you can:
- Withdraw your application and book an appointment for another day to submit full or corrected application files;
- Complete your application files on the same day at a later time; PLEASE NOTE: currently this value-added service is only available through Premium Lounge facility.
- Choose to submit your incomplete or incorrect application files on the same day – we strongly suggest that you try to submit a completed application as the SUBMISSION OF AN INCOMPLETE APPLICATION MAY RESULT IN THE REFUSAL OF YOUR VISA APPLICATION. If you still insist on applying, you will be asked to sign a declaration letter before your application is submitted by the Visa Application Centre staff. If your application is submitted by a representative, the representative will be asked to provide a declaration letter signed by you (the applicant).
If you have any questions, please contact us.
What are the special requirements for minor applicants?
Please note that minors are not allowed to submit applications by themselves, they must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Applications of minors shall be signed by both parents or legal guardians (NOT THE MINOR). In the case of representative is not the parent or the legal guardian of the minor, the representative must present an authorization letter signed by one of the parents or the legal guardian. Please click here to download.
In case of a minor, the following documents are compulsory too:
1. Original Certificate of permission to travel
When the minor is travelling with one parent only: Original ID Card and certificate of permission to travel from the parent, or legal guardian not travelling, clearly stating the destination, purpose of travel and time period for which the permission is granted
When the minor is travelling alone: Original ID Card and certificate of permission to travel from both parents or legal guardians, clearly stating the destination, purpose of travel and time period for which permission is granted.
2. Original Certificate of family relation
Certificate of family relation, or proof of guardianship (kinship) clearly identifying both parents or legal guardians and also original ID Cards of both parents or legal guardians.
3. Original Birth certificate of the minor
ALL THREE DOCUMENTS FOR THE MINORS (Certificate of Permission, Kinship and Birth Certificate) MUST BE LEGALISED BY THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF CHINA AND THE EMBASSY OF CYPRUS IN CHINA AND ACCOMPANIED BY AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION (when the parent is not in China, the Certificate of Permission needs to be attested by the relevant authorities in the country of residence).
Could the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or interview?
Yes, the Embassy/Consulate may request you to provide additional documents or attend an interview, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted your application at TLScontact.
Please note that any additional document, which is not required in the basic list according to your category of visa, must also be accompanied with a certified translation into English, if it is in any other language.
How can I collect my passport?
The passports can be collected when you are notified by SMS.
Passports can be collected in TLScontact visa application centres during the opening hours to the public.
You have to present the following documents if you would like to retrieve the passport by yourself at the Visa Application Centre:
- Visa application checklist;
- Your original identity card;
- A copy of your identity card.
Passport pick-up by a representative
A representative may retrieve your passport on your behalf. The representative must provide:
- Your application checklist;
- A copy of your ID card;
- The original and a copy of their ID card (the representative’s);
- An authorization letter signed by you.
Please kindly note that TLScontact will return passports to the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus in Beijing, if the passports have not been retrieved at TLScontact within a period of 3 months after being returned from the consular authority.
Courier pass-back service
You may have your passport returned to you by express delivery service; it will be sent directly to the address you have specified. Please click Added Value Services page to check the service availability in your Visa Application Centre.
How to book an appointment on TLScontact website?
You can find more detail information on how to take an appointment on TLScontact website here.
Which browsers does TLScontact support?
TLScontact supports the latest versions of these browsers:
- Chrome (Win 10 and Android for Mobile / Tablet);
- Edge (Win 10);
- Firefox (Win 7);
- Safari (OS X and iOS for Mobile / Tablet).
Make sure your browser is up to date and get into the habit of installing software updates whenever they are available.
Why isn’t Internet Explorer supported?
Internet Explorer (IE) 11 was released in 2013, and no feature updates released by Microsoft in years, which puts this browser behind others in terms of its ability to support new technologies. While Microsoft will continue to provide support for users of IE 11 for a few more years, the new default browser is Microsoft Edge.
What are the requirements of passport validity?
Before applying for a visa you must make sure that your passport is valid.
1. Check the expiration date on your passport.
- For a short stay visa (less than 90 days), passports must be valid for at least 3 months (90 days) from the intended date of departure from Cyprus.
2. Make sure your passport has two or more completely blank and unmarked visa pages.
3. Make sure your passport has not been altered.
- Check if the original laminated film (the transparent safety film that covers the passport photo) has been tampered with. If this is the case, you must ask a passport-issuing authority to re-tamper proof your passport.
- Make sure no pages or surfaces have been laminated (as this will invalidate your passport).
- Check for scratching or alteration.
4. If your passport was issued over 10 years ago, even if it is still valid at the time you submit your visa application, you must apply for a new passport from the authorities or the Embassy or Consulate of your country of origin, before being able to apply for a visa.
It is advised that you do not apply for a visa on a passport issued for multiple persons (e.g. parent and children together).
What are the photo requirements?
The photograph is required for any visa application and must meet the following criteria:
- In color with a white or light grey background;
- Format 3,5 cm x 4,5 cm; head should measure vertically min. 32 mm to max. 36 mm.
- Taken from the front; without obstruction;
- With a closed mouth and without showing any teeth;
- Without any shadow obstructing the face;
- Ensuring all features are clearly visible: eyes, nose, mouth, forehead and ears;
- Recent (less than 6 months old).
Please ensure that on the photograph you submit you are:
- Only wearing glasses that have light frames, not distorting the outline of the face or blocking the eyes;
- Not wearing contact lenses that change the color of the eyes;
- Not wearing hats, a veil or other headwear (religious headwear is allowed; please see image below for a compliant example);
- Wearing none or only small jewelry;
- Picture should not be heavily altered (beautified) by the photographer.
Please note, if the photograph you submit at the time of the application submission is deemed uncompliant, you will be asked to take a new photo.
A self-service photo booth is at your disposal inside the Visa Application Centre in case you need to provide a more recent compliant photograph to complete your application. For more information, please click here.
Travel health insurance
Having a valid travel health insurance is a requirement for the submission of the application for the individual tourism visa to Cyprus.
To facilitate a comfortable and safe experience for the duration of your stay abroad, TLScontact is offering applicants the ability to purchase travel health insurance. You can find more information Travel Insurance.